Starting Class on the Right Foot with Middle School Artists

Someday I want to see a scan of the pre-teen brain during a class transition.  Want to bet it lights up like fireworks?  But whatever is going on in there, my bouncy kids need help to focus their bodies and minds after all the super exciting things that happen in the 3-minute walk from their classroom to my STEAM art room.

I learned a new procedure for starting class in a PD last year and tried it super quick... darn if it didn't work better than anything I've done so far (like everything plus the kitchen sink).  Here are the ABCs of the procedure step by step.  (This sequence was created based on the work of Hyde and Charles, Sequoia Union High School District. 2016.)

A) Scout for Respectful Behaviors.  Invite 2 reliable students into the room to tally respectful behaviors they see as the class enters. They're the kids who can stand on the line with their arms down, their bodies calm, and their voices off modeling appropriate line behaviors and this gives me a chance to acknowledge them.  No naming names.... they make an annonomous tally mark when they see someone following directions.

B) Give 3 simple instructions to the class in line. It goes like this:

When you are standing respectfully I will give you your ticket to enter.  (The ticket is a half sheet of paper with a quick drawing exercise on it.  (I give out these entry "tickets" to the kids who are standing respectfully and they are allowed to enter first.
  1. You will take your art start and enter silently.
  2. Sit down immediately in your assigned seat.
  3. Put your name on your paper and start work.
Students repeat the instructions after me.  Then I tell them the consequences for following
instructions... this is also written on the behavior chart that the Scouts are using. If they earn 20 points they will have studio time.  If they lose 20 points they will have drawing only.  They earn points by following the 3 simple instructions.

This system acknowledges and rewards the students who are ready to learn and most importantly it stops the bouncy kids at the door before they can derail the rest of the class.  It gives me time to conference with them. These are often the students who are going to have trouble once they get into the room. 

As the year goes on and student behaviors become more reliable, I can post the art start on the board and students can begin keeping their work in a sketchbook. But in a difficult class, the entry ticket becomes a way to help understand that self-control is a prerequisite for entering my classroom.  And it gives me visibility into where my trouble spots are. 

C) Circulate and Acknowledge.  Students are entering and working silently at their seats, the Scouts continue to observe and record behaviors.  I circulate through the room putting a happy emoji stamp on papers that have their name on them.  It gives me a chance to touch base with the kids who are working.  After about 5 minutes I collect the papers and tally the points and begin my short demo.  This gives me a record of student skills and I can see if they got the instructions down (name on paper...so hard).

Students who can't follow the instructions by wandering, or talking or fooling around (throwing crayons? yep so fun), are asked to move to a separate desk.  The second time, they are given a warning card.  Next warning, I write their name on the card.  Third warning, it's an office referral.

I'm always trying to ask myself, what will it take to get this kid to follow instructions?  Sometimes I put their name on the board as a warning and giving them a minute to make the right choice.  My reward and consequence system needs work, but you get the idea.  Let me know if it works for you!

Earning entry into my class
A lot of kids were missing the idea that being in my class is a privilege.  So I created this procedure to make this clear.  With those bouncy classes -- the classes where more than 1/3 of the kids are crazy in line the kids have to earn a ticket to enter my class.  Kids who stand quietly and follow me with their eyes get immediate recognition with a slip of paper with a simple drawing exercise on it.  The few the chosen can enter the class and start drawing.  This allows me to recognize the good behaviors and let those kids get started.  And while they are happily drawing, I have time to do some deep breathing exercises with the kids who struggle to settle down.  It also gives me back the power.  I choose who comes into my room and I recognize kids who meet the standard for the behavior.

For More Information 
To learn more about positive classroom control techniques You might also want to read this the article about how you can acknowledge and teach positive student behaviors using Class Dojo to manage transitions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How One Young Artist Found his Way (Or, The Trouble with TAB)

Pumping-up Middle School Critique