Studio Hacks: Free Drying Racks, Paint delivery, and more

 

Recycled nursery racks are free and make wonderful drying racks
for the days when I run out of space on the regular drying racks.
These racks store pretty flat when they aren't needed
and even kinders can handle them.


To handle about 800 art servings a week, my students are using a lot of markers, pencils, paper, and paint. Here are some of the hacks I've been using this year to manage markers and paint.







Four paint wheels fit on a microwave
plate from the dollar store.
Students sometimes use the plates
as palettes.  When the plates are stacked they keep leftover paint fresh overnight.



















Sharpie caps glued into a toner cap.
Those toner caps again.  This time Sharpie caps are hot glued into the sections.  I have only lost one sharpie all year. 
Mr. Sketch markers.  Caps are hot glued into the holes.  I drilled them into 2 x 2 redwood and it took me about an hour to make 6 trays like this.  The downside is that sometimes kids hold them upside down to pretend they are machine guns.   But I have lost very few markers this way.  I can see immediately what's missing and send the class out on a hunt for the missing markers. 
Paper clay holds these marker caps into a paper bowl.  Not very pretty but this was the prototype for the version using a recycled toner cap. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting Class on the Right Foot with Middle School Artists

How One Young Artist Found his Way (Or, The Trouble with TAB)

Pumping-up Middle School Critique